The Idea Behind Kenney Valley



A Unity 2D Platform Game

Introduction


Maybe you are unfamiliar with my latest project, Kenney Valley, a 2D platform aimed for WebGL. There is a reason for it. First of all because I unfortunately forgot to log it and second because it's my first big 2D game where i develop start to end.
That being said, here is how I come up with the idea and where the build state currently is. And what I plan to do next or in the future will come in new posts that you can check at NewIndieDev as well.

The Idea


The idea started when I was playing the original Super Mario Bros. recently. I got surprised again by the fact of how good the controls feel and how the mechanics work despite of the hardware limitations of that era.
As I played I thought it was a great idea for practice to clone this game itself. So I jumped into Unity and started playing with some sprites and figuring out how to code some scripts that would work.
Unfortunately that didn't come very long as I struggled with 2D physics, as I had only made some short 3D games and 2D text focused games, making me lost interest in the clone but not in the 2D platforming scenario.

Mario Sprite from mario.wikia.com


Some days later as I was learning more about unity with a course that I am enrolled, I crossed a 2D platforming section (what a luck!). Although the game idea intended by the instructor was cool, it did not have that old school feel that I was looking for.

Complete C# Unity Developer 2D

So I had made up my mind. I would start a new project learning about 2D mechanics and Unity Development as features were needed.
Besides that, since I still had the fear of giving up again or getting lost, I decided to make a complete game, from basic to maybe a more finished product but focused more in coding and learning unity tools, such as the Sprite Animator and the new Tile Map Editor.

Image from Keyhole Software

The Art


So "What about the Game Art" you may be asking. I searched it up and found some really cool CC0 art on Kenny Assets where I could base my game and mix different assets without the trouble of  having multiple art styles that may not get well together since they are minimalist and from the same artist. The name of the game is also a tribute to his awesome work.


What's Next

Second Level

 

The game is currently in build 0.7B with minors bugs and three levels. My original idea was to write a post about each update but despite that not happening I plan in sharing new versions and public releasing the final version which will be past version 1.0

Level Selector


"So stay tuned at for more updates from this and my other projects!"

Comments